twitter instagram youtube bloglovin
 photo toppost.png

Sunday 9 August 2015

You Deserve It - D&M


There's this reoccurring trend I've been seeing a lot lately, and it made me think pretty hard about the last 9 months of my life.

We all know Facebook can be a plethora of whingeing, but every so often I will see a post dedicated to expressing pride in recognition of a self-achievement.
The only catch is that those posts are, more often than not, accompanied with a statement apologising for the post. Apologising under the notion that it's not okay to be proud of oneself. That it's not okay to share an achievement with our friends & family, without feeling a little braggy and guilty.
"I'm sorry for boring anyone by posting these updates, but after a long 6 months and hard work, I've lost XXkg and I'm really proud of myself"

I will admit that I have done this in the past - but the more I think about it, the more I question the need for apologetic sentiment.
Granted that it's not hurting anyone/thing else, we are all allowed to be proud of our achievements, however big or small. You worked hard for it? GIRL - own it. 
There should not be a nagging feeling of anxiety when we celebrate our positive successes. We should feel comfortable to tell our nearest and dearest the details with excitement and pride, sans guilt. If you put your time, effort and dedication into something, you should feel the freedom to express your self-worth. And further to that, you should not feel ashamed about any positive opportunities and/or rewards that come your way as a result of it.

As the old saying goes:
Source: Google

So what does this have to do with me?
After having these thoughts, I cast my mind to my most recent achievements. Small things that mean so little to others, but so much to me. I got presented with a great opportunity at work; I overcame some personal baggage; I've stepped out of my comfort zone, aimed higher and rose above challenging situations that normally I would have caved under.
So many small wins for myself as a person, so much growth in 9 months time.
And I realised, I am proud of myself.

I worked hard, and though it's not anything major, I am proud of my career opportunity.
It was a massive learning curve for me, and I am proud of gaining the ability to remove toxic people from my life.
It has been a tumultuous roller coaster of emotions over these months, but I am proud of how far I have come, how I've handled situations, and how many times I stepped out of my comfort zone. Deciding to be a better person has allowed for peace of mind.
And through achieving all of these things, the positive ramifications flowed through.

And not only has life rewarded me - I also made a point to reward myself.
Meet my new baby, Alfie (Sony Alpha 5100 or a5100):
In depth info on the Sony Alpha mirror-less range can be found here and here :)

I had hesitations for such an extravagant purchase, but after some careful consideration, I decided to own my achievements. To acknowledge my self-worth, to be excited about my accomplishments, and reward myself for the personal milestones I have reached.

You know what? It's okay to be proud of yourself. It's okay to treat yourself. If it's within reason for you, it's okay to reward yourself for how far you've come. 

Just got into a new relationship after conquering singledom? Be proud.
Got a promotion at your job? Be proud.
Took the first steps for a fresh start? Be proud.
I'm all for supporting each other, lifting each other up, spreading kindness and light, and celebrating each other's happiness.

It's okay to acknowledge you've done something great - get rid of the apologies, say it loud and proud, and go ahead and treat yourself - I felt like I deserved it, and guess what? So do you.

Source: Google


J x

No comments:

Post a Comment

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme